It pains me to say this (since we are smack in the middle of summer), but brands are already coming out with their “Back to School” promotions that you can tie into available co-op funds. I don’t know about you, but I always think of returning to school after Labor Day – not so anymore. It seems like all public and private schools now start the third or fourth week of August,, and getting your kids to college – heck, that starts in early August!
Since you need to get your college-age kids out of the house first, let’s start with a short checklist of items needed (or at least thought about!):
- Eye Care – Do the kids need a new supply of contacts? New glasses? When was their last eye exam?
- Automotive – Can your college kid have a car at school? You don’t want them driving home on the weekend with bald tires or running out of oil.
- Flooring/Furniture/Small Appliances – there is a whole lot mentioned here, but you need to get that dorm room or apartment just right. Old flooring – get a big area rug to cover it up; you may need a bean bag or some smaller chair and a mini-fridge and microwave are pretty much mandatory. Sheets, comforters, and other bedding and bath materials (think towels) would fit in here as well.
- School Supplies – Do they need a new tablet, laptop, printer? What about a backpack? “Old school” items like notebooks, pens, etc. may also be needed.
- Clothing/Shoes – This may be a good time to help your kid(s) purge old clothes. Time to buy new items and get rid of things that don’t fit, have seen better days, etc.
I know there is a heck of a lot more involved than the few categories mentioned above, but it’s a start! If you are a media company/agency helping local businesses with their advertising, there are so many brands and items that can be promoted as “Back to School” needs. This is a fantastic time to utilize co-op funding to help your customers with their advertising spend.
Below are just a few of the hundreds of brands that offer co-op for both traditional and digital media that your local advertisers can use to promote Back to School promotions:
Brand – Product/Service – High-Level Guidelines
- Goodyear – Tires
This includes the Dunlop, and Kelly Tires brands. Reimbursement rate is anywhere from 25-75% dependent on media choice. Accrual amount is 2.7 – 3.2% based on retailer/wholesaler level.
- JanSport – Backpack, Luggage, and other Outdoor Equipment/Clothing
The reimbursement rate is 100% for both traditional and digital media. Accrual amount is 2% based on current year’s purchases.
- Ford Motor – Quick Lane – Motorcraft and Omnicraft automobile oils
The accrual amount is 4.5% of current year’s purchases and is earned bi-annually. Reimbursement rate is 50% for both traditional and digital media.
Comments are closed for this post.